Every discipline has its own jargon, and the currency market is no different. Here are some terms to know that will make you sound like a seasoned currency trader :
- Cable, sterling, pound - alternative names for the GBP.
- Greenback, or buck - nicknames for the U.S. dollar.
- Swissie - nickname for the Swiss franc.
- Aussie - nickname for the Australian dollar.
- Kiwi - nickname for the New Zealand dollar.
- Loonie, the little dollar - nicknames for the Canadian dollar.
- Figure - FX term connoting a round number like 1.2000.
- Yard - a billion units, as in "I sold a couple of yards of sterling."